Ever since I began the process of recovery, I have always found the outlet of journaling and reading as a healing and grounding experience. At times, it has saved me. Meditation is something new for me, but finding something to read on a daily basis to bring my mind to hope and strength and the present NOW is important. Here is a list I find helpful to me that I want to share for others:
- Inner Harvest: Daily Meditations for Recovery from Eating Disorders
- The Promise of a New Day: A book of Daily Meditations
- Living Sober
- The Big Book (I refer this book for the stories it holds inside for connection with other people to relate to and not feel so alone. I find any book about any addiction helpful for a drug-is a drug-is a drug. Just substitute your specific needs)
- The Purpose Driven Life (More religious/faith based)
- Sane: Mental Illness, Addiction and the 12 Steps (by Marya Hornbacher)
- Daily Reflections: This is a book of reflections by A.A. members for A.A. members.